Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Acknowledgement

Return to Home Page | Next


When you think of the ramification of Jesus being God, and then Him coming to earth and not only fulfilling His words in the Law and Prophets, but personally selecting 12 men to entrust His spirit and life giving words to all man-kind through the model of discipleship (defined as turning a learner into a teacher), then instructing them to go and do the same, as He modeled it, reassuring them that He would be with them always, the implications were and are world changing.

God, not man, giving us the words, the model, and the methods of ministry, not just in theory but in day-to-day practice (relationship), is more than words can express. Why then do we substitute God’s way with other ministry models, teachings, and methods when we were given the ultimate example, God Himself?

For me, these truths and reality have been life changing. And what better way to have learned them than through the life of one of Jesus’ own disciples, my step-father. It was in the late-80s and early-90s that he began to uncover these life changing words of Jesus, taking His words as the ultimate truth:
  • “‘Go and make disciples of all nations . . . teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.’” Matthew 28:18-20

  • “Jesus said to them, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing; . . . I do nothing on my own authority but speak thus as the Father taught me . . . For I have not spoken on my own authority; the Father who sent me has himself given me commandment what to say and what to speak . . . When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak.’” John 5:19, John 8:28, 12:49, 16:13

  • “‘You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide.’” John 15:14-16

  • “‘The words I have spoke to you are spirit and they are life.’” John 6:62

  • “‘I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life.’” John 5:24

  • “‘If you love me, you will obey what I command.’” John 14:15

  • “Jesus replied, ‘Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.’” Luke 11:28

  • “We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands.” 1 John 2:3

  • “Whoever says, ‘I know him,’ but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person.” 1 John 2:4

  • “In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome.” 1 John 5:3

  • “And this is love, that we walk in obedience to his commands.” 2 John 1:6

  • “I have set for you an example that you should do, as I have done for you . . . Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.” John 13:15-17

  • “While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, ‘This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!’” Matthew 17:5
It is through this discipleship program, "‘Follow Me’: A Journey With Jesus", that we unpack each one of Jesus' commands into short teaching lessons, which were compiled from the complete discipleship program (which is available in small group format), to reunite you with the Master Teacher, God Himself, understanding that, “no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ,” 1 Corinthians 3:10.

In like manner, as Paul was to Timothy, I have taken the teachings of God Himself, Jesus, imparted to me through my step-father, and now challenge you, with the mantra of Paul:Welcome to: “A Journey With Jesus”, and know that the words you read going forward are spirit and they are life, and now in the words of Jesus Himself: “‘Come, follow me.’” Matthew 4:19

- Ryan K. Roberts

Return to Home Page

Forward

No comments: